Module 1 - INTRODUCTION TO AUTOMATION
This module provides a general overview of automation systems and the role of automation in industry. It also covers the basic principles of
flexible automation and flexible manufacturing systems. The advantages of automation are outlined, and the main components associated with
automation systems are explored. An introduction to automation simulation is presented with an emphasis on practical application.
• Define the term “automation”.
• List three advantages of using automation systems.
• Name six factors affecting the original design of PLCs.
• Describe the role of automation in industry.
• Define flexible automation.
• Differentiate between economy of scale and economy of scope.
• List three examples of continuous flow processes.
• Describe the purpose of a flexible manufacturing system.
• Explain the difference between DCS, RCS and CCS.
• Define automation simulation and explain its advantages